Slovenia

Thursday, October 1, 2015



Culture shock in the Netherlands has been mild since most of the Dutch speak english and many of their customs aren't radically different from our own.  The topographic adjustment on the other hand has not been more noticeable. The Netherlands is flat. Really, really flat.  So, while the weather was still good and while Anna was still off working in Italy, I decided to head for some hills. For this trip I teamed up with a good friend from college, Cris Diaz. Cris has seen most countries in Europe thanks to his former life as a pirate (he tells us he worked on a cruise ship but we're not so sure) and so it was initially a challenge to agree on a place that neither of us had been to before. Luckily, Slovenia was still on both of our bucketlists and so the deal was sealed and plane tickets were purchased.


We flew into the capital city of Ljubljana (nicknamed L'juju for the rest of the trip to avoid pronunciation), rented a car, and drove straight to Lake Bled (pictured above).  One amazing feature we noticed about Slovenia right off the bat was how close everything was.  Within 30 minutes of the airport was the beautiful town of Bled and the lake of the same name. This place was unreal. The iconic landmarks consisted of a massive castle on a cliffside overlooking the lake and a tiny island in the middle of the lake with a castle of its own. To round out this amazing scene there were also the Julian Alps towering in the background.


After enjoying our fill of Lake Bled, we took to the gorges. The turquoise waters from Vintgar Gorge (pictured below) left an impression that I won't soon forget. 
  

Waterfalls are always a treat. Another goodie from Vintgar Gorge above.


Lake Bohinj (above) was a definite highlight of the trip. The first photo in this post was taken to prove to Anna that I stayed good on my "Always Swim" pact. The idea is simple - if given the opportunity, always swim. I made good on this at Lake Bled as well, but that is a story for another time.


On the last day of this quick trip, I dropped Cris off at the airport with a half day to kill before my own flight took off. Again, since everything in Slovenia was so close and I still had the rental car, I decided to head for the coast. I made it to Piran (above) before noon and spent midday exploring this gem. From the northern shoreline you could see Trieste, Italy. Funny story - I paid 1 euro to climb the big bell tower that you can see in this picture without realizing that it was 5 minutes til the hour. When I got to the top, all that I was thinking about was the view until "GONGGG!!!" I was within a foot of the massive bell when the thing went off. I think it cracked a rib. 

Slovenia was incredible. It is definitely a place that I would recommend, especially if you want to pack mountains, rivers, lakes, city, and coastline all into a long weekend.
Post Comment
Post a Comment